These deliverable online creative writing courses are free, ready to use out-of-the-box & available immediately
As many schools pivoted to online learning during COVID, the University of Iowa provided resources and teaching materials for instructors to use immediately for creative writing courses everywhere. The International Writing Program at the University of Iowa has been creating free Creative Writing MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) for several years, and has accumulated a rich archive of these online courses, offered as "MOOC-Packs."
These MOOC-Packs are deliverable online creative writing courses, ready to use out-of-the-box, available immediately, for all teachers and students who need to transition to online courses. A MOOC-Pack provides a MOOC’s core content, packaged with a how-to guide and extra instructional materials. Using a MOOC-Pack, anyone can lead a writing class or a study group.
You can access all free MOOC-Packs on the IWP Distance Learning website.
ACCESS MOOC-PACK COURSES
- Hidden Meanings: Creative Fiction, Non-fiction, and Facts
- Stories of Place: Writing and the Natural World
- Moving the Margins: Fiction and Inclusion
- Power of the Pen: Identities and Social Issues in Poetry and Plays
- Power of the Pen: Identities and Social Issues in Fiction and Nonfiction
- Fiction: Storied Women MOOC-Pack (Arabic)
كيف تكتب الكاتبات القصص: نساء حاكيات
- Fiction: Storied Women MOOC-Pack (Spanish)
Cómo los escritores escriben ficción: Mujeres en la narración
Este MOOC-Pack lo guiará a través de un estudio progresivo de cómo los autores de todas partes del mundo abordan los diferentes aspectos de la escritura de ficción, desde la voz y el diálogo, hasta la trama y la estructura narrativa
- Whitman's Civil War: Writing and Imaging Loss, Death, and Disaster
- #Flashwrite Teen Poetry MOOC
- How Writers Write Fiction I
- How Writers Write Fiction II
- How Writers Write Poetry I
- How Writers Write Poetry II
- Every Atom: Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself"
All teachers and students of creative writing worldwide can access these free classes and implement the lessons into their coursework immediately. Updates and new material will be posted ongoing here as well.
ACCESS MOOC-PACK COURSES
For questions, contact the IWP Distance Learning staff.
We will be updating this page and website with more online teaching resources. For an actively edited creative writing resources list, you can also view this co-authored and rapidly evolving resource, Teaching in the Context of Coronavirus, with contributors including: Jacqueline Wernimont and Cathy N. Davidson.